New links on the bottom!
I wanted to talk about some,mainly dog ones.It's not about breeds but dogs in general. It's also about basic rumors and not politics or animal rights.
1. Cats are mean,or do not care about you: They are naturally a bit aloof,they are often more shy and fearful then dogs so are less likely to greet. Cats are most likely to be friendly towards their owners and not strangers. Many cats,including mine enjoy being lap cats and getting attention.
2. Cats can survive on their own: Not anymore then some dogs,not all cats are hunters and they're vulnerable to wild animals,domestic animals,cars,humans, diseases..ect.
3. Cats are cleaner then dogs: Almost generally true.but more of an individual thing,cats can have problem with snarls,young cats often do not properly clean themselves either. It's also true that a short fur black dog will seem and be less dirty then a white longhair cat after a outside visit.
4. Cats slowly kill their prey,or kill for the fun of it: Cats are predators,they are no worse then wild cats and even many dogs. They can kill a rodent with a simple pounce but sometimes it takes longer if the cat misses. If its for fun is questionable and hard to prove. Dogs that are hunters may be quick at dispatching the victim or slow at it also. Dogs will sometimes go for prey that is too large to kill alone,and end up making the animal suffer instead. Cats normally eat birds but not always rodents.dogs normally do not eat what they kill. It's true that cats still have a higher hunting instincts and are truer carnivores then dogs. In that cats need Taurine in meat to survive.
5. Cats are major barfers: Depends on the individual,I've had some,and some that weren't.
6. Cats will eat you when your dead: I`m not really sure,dogs have done the same though. A animal that is starving is not very fussy.
1. Dogs are dumb: Dogs are proven to be about as intelligent as a 3 year old human,and can learn over a 100 words generally,one knew a 1000 different words.
They actually are close to cats in intelligence,and depends on the individual. Cats may be generally a little more smart,but theirs some dogs that could outsmart most cats too. It may be because of dogs immaturity and a more happy go lucky attitude. Also like the old insult of mouth breather,dogs have to pant to keep their temperature regulated, but it also makes them look less dignified.
2. Dogs are loyal: Dogs may betray you for food,and if you give them away they might forget about you after a week. It depends on the individual though,sense I heard of some very loyal dogs too.
They also are not as forgiving as people think,some dogs may turn of their masters if pushed to it. They don't hold petty grudges,and are much more forgiving than people though. Some cats can actually be pretty loyal too,although cats are less forgiving.
3.Dogs are like babies: Only if you treat them like one. Let the dog be alone sometimes and handle things by itself and you will get rid of most of that dependence. Also if a dog is frightened,do not comfort it,just act like everything is fine. Reinforcing fear will just make a dog more fearful and dependent.
Husky and Spitz types are the most independent dogs, My Malamute mix was more independent then my cats even. Toy breeds tend to be spoiled and treated like fragile little babies sometimes,so that's what they become.
4.All dogs eat their own poop: I never had or known a dog that did this. A Small percent will,but it would be no more then 5% of dogs I believe.
Puppies can learn it at a young age from another dog or even out of boredom,they may get over it though.
Shih-tzu's are known to do it often,also Shih-tzus are considered to be one of the dogs with the lowest intelligence.
It is also often not because of poor nutrition. They do it because to them it tastes good and are likely big eaters, even for dogs.
Also on the subject,dogs also do not normally eat their own barf. Although that may depend on what it ate,how much it was digested and of course the dog. I`ve heard of cats sometimes doing it also.
Eating other type of feces like cat or horse is more common in dogs,I tend to find that females have this habit more often then males also.
Dogs are also not the only animal to do this.
5. Dogs are chronic leg humpers: Not normally,even if they are un-neutered males. It's more of a bad habit that also shows up in a very small percentage of dogs.
6. Dogs are naturally protective: I read the son of Rintintin(A German Shepherd) slept through a robbery,dogs may or may not protect your property or yourself if not trained to. A large barking dog is a good deterrent either way though.
7. All dogs play fetch: Retriever types mostly,fetching actually has to be trained for and many dogs will not even chase after simple objects such as sticks,or a Frisbee(such as my Rottweiler.) Tennis balls is the best option for teaching a non retrieving breed.or even a retrievers.
8. Dogs only see in black and white: Dogs vision is similar to color blind humans,they cannot see reds and greens,but can see colors.
1.Dogs and cats cannot get along: Too many cats seem to have a natural fear and even aggression towards dogs,dogs like chasing cats,and some dogs will even kill cats. My Malamute mix was that type that actually hunted cats. The Rottie and Newfoundland mix of mine normally got along with cats,but could get angry with them if the cat started it. Their can even be some dogs that are afraid of cats even.
So its possible,if willing to take the risk,they can even like each other,and socialization will help.
2.All dogs love water and all cats hate water: Although dogs are less panicky around water,a pretty large percentage of dogs would prefer to stay out of it,and especially dislike swimming. I feel the stereotypical dog is based on Labradors and Golden retrievers,which naturally have more of a love of the water then breeds that do not have a history of working in water. Of course all dogs are individuals and you can get two from the same breed and litter and one may love water and the other dislikes it.
A very large percentage of cats hate water with a passion,but their is sometimes a cat that actually enjoys swimming. Turkish Vans are known for their curiosity and love of water. I`ve had two cats that showed curiosity towards water,batting at it,and drinking from faucet tabs.
3. Dogs or Cat mothers eating their own babies: killing their babies can happen if the Mother is under extreme stress,but it is still very rare. Their much more likely to ignore a dead kitten or puppy,not eat it. Unfit Mothers are also much more likely to ignore or abandon their litter then feel that they have to kill them. Even good mothers can often mistreat the runt,or any that is unlikely to survive.
People that have been around and had cats and dogs enough should know better,but the people that haven't tend spread these rumors.
I`m sick of the dog people vs cat people fights I always see,and they tend to use these rumors as their reasons.
Despite what animal planet cutest cats says in that cats are superior to dogs because cats can climb trees,open doors and climb fences.
Pugs are more popular online then Greyhounds doesn't mean their better,their just "cuter". Not many people care about dog athleticism anymore,and they don't care to try to do some research before they slander a species on television. I forgot what she said otherwise,I didn't feel like watching the show anymore.
Dogs climbing trees: [link][link][link]
Sure they may not be as good as cats but they can climb a little!
Dogs opening doors: [link][link][link]
Dogs climbing fences:[link][link][link]
Other nice dog videos:[link][link][link][link][link][link][link][link][link][link][link][link][link][link][link][link][link][link][link][link][link][link][link][link][link][link]
Everything is going to hell,wake up and join the ride.
Thanks for the faves and watches,you dont need to tell me...especially if its a freaking watch-back!
Proud to not use DA watermarks,or any at all anymore,even though I have had stolen art. It makes the pictures look like crap way too often.
COMMISSIONS ARE OPEN!
Like anyone cares..
$10-40 for inked or digital artwork
The dog embodies - unconditional love and cold destruction, domesticity and wildness -- opposite forces in continual, dynamic equilibrium - by Mark Derr
"There's facts about dogs, and then there's opinions about them. The dogs have the facts, and the humans have the opinions. If you want the facts about the dog, always get them straight from the dog. If you want opinions, get them from humans."
-- J. Allen Boone